Salkantay Trek 4 Days / 3 Nights
Salkantay trek 4 days , is one of the most sacred mountains in the region. The hike brings you down through five ecological zones to Machu Picchu and you will have opportunity to pass through mountains, cloud forests, and jungle.
- Duration: 4days/3 nights.
- distance: 55 km – 34 miles.
- level: Moderate to difficult.
- elevations: 3,883 meters or 12,740 ft – 4,620 meters or 15,157 ft.
- Acclimatizations: We recommend that you spend at least 2 days in Cusco and the surrounding area before starting to properly acclimatize.
Day 1: Cusco – Soraypampa (Humantay Lake)-salkantaypampa
We start to pick up you on the hotel around 05:00 am, driving take 4 hours to soraypampa, There we will meet with our support staff and have breakfast before to star our trek. the first section is up to the Humantay lake (4200masl) 5 km round trip , then lunch and after it we continue with a gentle ascension for 1.5 hours to salkantaypampa , which is nice place to watch the constellation on the sky.
Day 2: Salkantaypampa – Salkantay lake- qolpapampa (extra option to see the second lake )
Early wake up with the first daylight at 05:30 am to packing our things , breakfast and start hiking up 3 hours to the highest point of the trail Salkantay Pass (4620 masl – 15,155 ft).We reach the top of the trek and we will appreciate spectacular views of the mountains and 2 hours downhill to get our lunch point,on the afternoon we will entrance to high amazone jungle to finally arrive to qolpapampa the base camp into the hihg jungle.
Day 3: Qolpapampa – la Playa –aguas calientes
Breakfast and hiking straight to la Playa crossing on the high jungle and there are stopping in some family hamlet to enjoy the local fruit ,the trail distance is 16 km the hiking time is 5 hours, La playa is small Town as well the lunch point, following the plan We will driving the collective bus to hidroelectric and then walking 3 hours near the rail way to aguas calientes town , last night hostal and dinner in a restaurant .
Day 4: Machu Picchu – Cusco
Early wake up for visit Machupicchu, optional going up by bus or foot, the first 2 hours guiding tour after that is start your free time, therefore you’ll stay and enjoy the city for more than 7 hours. On the afternoon you will take train back to Ollantaytambo and then bus driving to Cusco.
- Transportation from your hotel in Cusco to the start of the hike and back to your hotel at the end
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu
- Train tickets from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo to and back to Cusco
- Hotel in Aguas Calientes (depending on availability)
- Duffle bag that you can fill with up to 5kg of your personal gear that the horses will carry
- camping equipment.
- Experienced tour guide fluent in English, Spanish and Quechua. Our guides are equipped and trained to practice First-Aid, administer oxygen if needed, and conduct radio communication.
- Complete meals and snacks during the trip (the last lunch in Aguas Calientes is not included). Our experienced chefs make amazing meals in the middle of the mountains and are also used to preparing dishes for people with different food restrictions or lifestyles, so please let us know your preferences and we will make sure to meet your dietary needs.
- Professional chef who grew up in the countryside and a horseman with horses/mules to carry all of our gear
- Lunch on the last day.
- Sleeping bag or trekking poles (can be rented from us).
- Tips for guide, chef, and horseman.
What to Bring:
- Original passport and student ISIC card (if applicable)
- Sleeping bag (or you can rent one from us)
- A small day backpack to carry your personal belongings (the horses will carry the items that you do not need during the day)
- Bathing suit (if you would like to enjoy the hot springs in Aguas Calientes)
- Good sneakers or light hiking boots, and one pair of flip-flops or light sandals
- Camera and extra batteries
- Rain gear (especially if traveling in the wet season, from October to March)
- Comfortable hiking clothes
- Bug repellent
- Sunscreen and sunglasses
- Cap for the sun
- Warm clothes for the nighttime including thermals, warm hat, and gloves.
- Travel towel
- Toilet paper
- Water bottle and about 1 liter of water for the first day until lunch, and after that we will supply you with boiled water for the rest of the hike.
|Number of People You Book With||Price per Person in US Dollars||Discounts:|
* We need a minimum of 2 people to run the tour. We guarantee that your tour will be limited to a maximum of 8 people.
Huayna Picchu: If you are interested in climbing Huayna Picchu, the mountain overlooking Machu Picchu, there is an additional fee of $20 USD per person for us to buy your entrance ticket. Spaces are limited, so please let us know when booking whether you would like to hike Huayna Picchu, and we will reserve it for you. For information about this hike, please visit our Huayna Picchu page.
Montaña machupicchu: This second option is other challange to see machupicchu from the upper part , there is an additional fee of $20 USD per person for us to buy your entrance ticket. Spaces are limited, so please let us know when booking whether you would like to hike Montaña machupicchu, and we will reserve it for you
Hotel Upgrade: Included in this tour is one night at a comfortable Hostel in Aguas Calientes. However, if you would like to upgrade to a 3, 4, or 5 star hotel, please just let us know what type of hotel you prefer and we can upgrade your accommodations.
Sleeping Bags: If you would like to rent a sleeping bag from us, the price is $25 USD per person in total for the hike.
Trekking Poles: We recommend taking trekking poles on the hike especially when hiking downhill. If you would like to rent a pair for the whole hike, the price is $20 USD per person.
Vistadome Train: Our price includes a return train ticket in the Expedition train, however, if you would like to upgrade to the Vistadome train the price is an additional $50 USD per person.
We only require a minimum of 2 people to start this hike, so if there are at least 2 people total in your group we can organize your hike for the start date that you choose. If you are traveling by yourself, please email us to check the availability and let us know the hike(s) you are interested in and the dates when you are available to start the hike.
To reserve your hike, please email us at email@example.com with the hike you want to do, the date you want to start, and how many people are in your group. We will also need the following information for each traveler:
- Full name
- Passport number
- Date of birth
- Food restrictions (if any)
Would you like to climb Huayna Picchu for an additional $30 USD per person?
If you would like tickets to climb Huayna Picchu after your tour of Machu Picchu, we will reserve a ticket for you as long as there is availability.
After sending your personal information, the next step is for each person in your group to make a deposit of $200 USD to reserve your hike. To make your deposit, please pay through our Paypal account by clicking the “Buy Now” button below, or by visiting our Book Now page. To receive the student discount, you must send an email at the time you reserve your spot with a scan of both sides of your student ISIC card. This is the only student card accepted by the National Park and you can find more information about this student ID on the ISIC website here. The remaining balance is due in Cusco. You may pay in cash (either in US dollars or Peruvian soles) at your briefing.